Thursday, January 7, 2010

I like to think I'm getting smarter. . . .



So, I'm obviously not the BEST blogger in the world.
Nor, am I the wittiest, or smartest, or most creative, blah, blah, blah. :-)
However, I like the idea of blogging, and really want to try and make it work.

In the last month I have packed up a house (for seven people), had 3 of my children's birthdays, shipped Christmas in boxes to a different continent, flew with five kids (and only myself as "adult supervision") to a different continent (arriving 20 hours later with the same 5 kids and 18 pieces of luggage in tow that I started with), took finals AND received straight A's (I will be stoked about that for awhile), and . . . . .well, that's all (I think), but I think it's a pretty good list.

Life is good. I say this a lot. But I truly believe it!

I've learned a lot on my journey to this point in my life, and the more I learn, the more I realize I have a whole heck of a lot more to still learn. NOW, if I have the brain capacity is the next question! ha ha

In the last three weeks, I have some especially good words of wisdom that I want to share.

#1: When there is a need to fly to your next duty station, it is a REALLY good idea to put kitchen utensils in your luggage. Can openers, spoons, spatulas, measuring spoons, etc., are all small enough to stow away, but really add up in cost when you have to buy them all, because it is still another 1 1/2 months before YOURS arrive!

#2: You will always miss your family and friends the most! But a good mattress is a close second! (I am counting the days til my lovely bed arrives with its sweet comfort. versus the plywood-sorry-excuse-for-a-mattress they "loan" you til yours arrives.

#3. Castles really are magical.

#4. Never underestimate the power a 3 year old can have over any GRANDMA (whether it's his grandma or not. And whether she speaks the same language or not.) In fact, lets change this to: Grandmas are ALWAYS awesome!

#5. Not all video games are evil (okay, okay, don't hold this against me. ;-) A Game that involves music AND my whole family playing, can't be all-that-bad.

#6. A smile means the same thing in ANY language! I may not speak more than 6 words in German, but I can smile at people and 9 times out of 10, they smile back.

#7. Technology is AMAZING! We would have been LOST while driving SOOO many times by now, if it were not for our lovely GPS that makes the journey with us each time and "recalculates" when we mess up.
AND, I love that I can call my family AND see them as we talk through an amazing thing called the internet, and skype, and a computer!

#8. There REALLY is a time difference between us and those back in "the states" It may be coming to the end of my day, but it is just beginning for my family in the Northwest. Weird!

#9. My husband will always continue to amaze me with what he can accomplish and what he's willing to do for me. (Okay, this is NOT a new revelation, but it's still important to point out often).

#10. Goodbyes ALWAYS suck. It doesn't matter how often I do them. I still cry. I still feel sad. BUT, it's also always fun to meet new people. There are good people EVERYWHERE you go!

#11 I LOVE German Bakeries. mmmmmmm. . . . .

#12. This list is longer than I expected it to be.

#13. There are good and bad to everything, INCLUDING military life. Yes, there are some downsides, but I definitely enjoy some of the perks.

#14. I miss Wal-mart. (and paying Wal-mart prices)

#15. Kids can adapt. They're amazingly resilient. They can be bounced back and forth and STILL come out smiling and happy and give amazing hugs.

#16. My Mom and Sister are sorely missed. Whenever we go exploring somewhere new in Germany, I can't help but think "OH wow! I wish mom and Rach could see this!" Don't get me wrong, I LOVE all my family. . . . . It's a mom/ sister thing.

#17. I'm so glad to have lived where I have lived and been to the places I have been. To quote a favorite singer of mine "I've been a lot of places and I've seen a lot of faces so I know, I must be going somewhere. . . ." (2 points to whoever can name the "quoted."

#18. Brain cells may be rusty at times, but can still work with the right amount of prodding.

#19. Einbahnstrasse is my newest favorite german word. It's just fun to say. Go ahead and try it. :-)

#20. I really do spend a LOT of time on the Computer and REALLY need to get off now.

Life is GOOD!

6 comments:

  1. Lydia!!! I LOVE this list! I think I'll have to come back and look at it every now & then!! I'm glad you're happy and enjoying life... you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lydia, what an adventure. You are definitely loved, and what a great attitude to be in Germany with. oh, and p.s. you get yourself some adopted German grandmas and you are SET!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to the above comments. You amaze me with your strength. Your kids are resilient, but who did they get that from??? Yah, that would be YOU! You're always so positive and upbeat-I really admire that about you! Thanks for the update on your German adventures. You make it ease for me to smile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that all is well with the Beck Haus. You always amaze me, thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you'll have to let me know how it goes, especially the whole not knowing the language thing. I'm moving to Japan towards the end of the year and I'm scared to death! At least my husband knows the language so i have my own tour guide, but yeah let me know cause idk what to do. Anyways hope all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Micah's wife Jenni writing this. I just want to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your adventures. You are amazing! And please blog. Put all your stuff on here, not only for those of us who like to look & read, but then you can put it in a book. I do it every year and I can't tell you what a treasure it is to our family to go back and look over the past year. It's not only a journal of our family life, but has pictures included. You won't regret it....and I really do love to read all about you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete