Tuesday, February 16, 2010

3 weeks too long. . . . :-)

So, I have known for a while that I have a mild addiction to my computer (mostly the internet). I say mild, because it really CAN be controlled. I just choose not to, most of the time. :-) hee hee
However, I don't like it when it is COMPLETELY taken away from me! A little over 3 weeks ago, our laptop crashed. Completely dead and gone! There was NO recovery. I thought, "Oh. No big deal. My home computer is supposed to be here in days."
Well, it's true. It WAS supposed to be here. Yet, when I called a few days after the supposed delivery date, they had NO idea where our stuff even was, and didn't know for two more weeks. I honestly laughed, and thought "Well, of course silly. Why SHOULD you know where my stuff is???"
After two weeks without my internet connection to the world, I was going a bit batty though. Okay, okay, I was cranky. I thrive on my connection to family and friends. And with the time difference, phone calls don't happen too frequently. Snail mail is always a possibility too, but that takes WEEKS, and wasn't helping me during my two week withdrawal. FOr one of the first times, I was feeling homesick.
Well, a kind friend took pity on us after two weeks and let me use their laptop (I didn't kill this laptop. :-) YAY!)
And yesterday, MINE ARRIVED! Three weeks late, . . . . BUT, it arrived!
I've told a few people already, that our first few weeks here were good. It was like we were living in a large hotel room set-up. None of the furniture or belongings really were ours. Only the clothing and minimal personal items we carried on the plane. Our kitchen was bare minimum
After a few weeks, it got a little old. AND, I'll admit it, I got bored. I'm on break from classes til April. I had no stuff to unpack. No supplies to work on projects with. No library collection (though I did utilize the base library when I could)
Basically I cooked A LOT, and cleaned more than I have in a LONG time! It was getting old without my own stuff here. And I was SOOOOO missing the hung up pictures on my wall. I like turning a house into a home, and it's a lot easier to do with MY stuff. (yes, it's just stuff, but it makes it cozy)
Well, pictures and all sorts of fun have arrived!! We slept on our most heavenly bed last night (I like when a mattress moves a little when you sit on it, and doesn't feel like the floor). We used our blender last night! And tomorrow, I'm making pancakes on my large and wonderful griddle.
AND my piano is here and held up amazingly well in the move! OH, and get this, I had a whole 1000 lbs allowance LEFT that I could have used to get stuff here!!! (good knowledge for next time, I guess)
So where is this rant headed? Well, I feel at peace today, looking around my home. It feels like a home. THere are still a lot of boxes to unpack, but we're gettting there. My legs and arms are oh-so-sore today from standing for 14 hours straight yesterday, and moving LOTS of boxes. But this is SOOO worth it. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. If you have 1000lb allowance then you can buy some really nice hand.carved furniture over there for cheaper (or so I've heard) and bring it home! :D

    ReplyDelete