Saturday, November 5, 2011

Natalee's Baptism Day


(I can't figure out how to turn the picture the right way . hmmmm. . . . . )

Last week, on November 5, 2011, we got to experience a super special day. It was the day that my husband took our 4th Child, our 2nd daughter, into the waters of baptism, and baptized her as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I felt a little homesick, as I prepared for the baptism and made programs and such. I realized, that we had to choose two witnesses. Our Dad's (the Grandpas) have been the witnesses for our three other children. The uncles and Grandpas have been the ones standing in the circle when they are given the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Yes, I did get a lump in my throat, and shed a small tear. I would have loved to have our families there to share in the joyous occasion.

I love living in Europe. But there definitely is a price to be paid, and sometimes that price is painful.

As we got closer to the date, I had friends emailing and calling to see how they could contribute. The night of the baptism, I watched as the little chapel filled up with people who have become dear friends of ours in our two short years here in Germany. Some of these individuals were L.D.S., some were not. But as the prelude music played, I realized that I DID have family here.

Yes, I would have loved to have my OWN family. But that's the thing with the military. You become each others families when you are away from your own.
I love the people that came to Natalee's Baptism. They are my family in Europe. One of those dear friends, combined with us for the baptism, and baptized her son. It was wonderful to see both of these valiant children become our ward's newest members.



I don't think a Mother can help but smile and cry a little as she sees her gorgeous baby girl, step into a white dress once more (like the white dress she was blessed in as a baby). She is beautiful! There's a song my Mother introduced me to years ago, called "What Heaven Sees in You". It talks about the three important white dresses an LDS girl will wear in her life. Her blessing dress, her baptism dress, and her wedding dress. "Pure and holy, in a little white dress. . .and the Father looked down, and the angels surround that place. They know the truth. All that you can do. And you will too, if you have eyes to see, what heaven sees in you."

I see the potential for this strong willed little girl, and it brings me so much joy.

At the end of the service, Bishop Andrus made a few comments. He told Natalee, that a change would happen in her. People around her would notice a difference. They would see a new light, and wonder what it was. The presence of the Holy Ghost would shine bright in my little girls eyes. It has only been a week since her baptism, and I can say, that his words have been absolute truth.
She has been a happier girl this week, then I remember her being before. Moments that would have set off a tantrum before, are handled with a deeper maturity. There is a new light in my daughters eyes, and I am so thankful to have the knowledge I do. I know what caused this new light. I am so thankful for the covenant of baptism, and the new beginnings it brings.
I know this gospel is true. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and my Redeemer. I know that he suffered for me, so that I can return to my Father's presence someday. I am grateful every day to have been brought up in the light of the gospel.
The day after her baptism marked the first day that all three of my older children stood up in Fast and Testimony meeting and bore their testimonies. The Spirit was strong, and I felt my testimony strengthened even more.
I am so proud of my little girl, and feel blessed to have experienced her very special baptism day.

No comments:

Post a Comment